Saturday, June 5, 2010

City of Chicago Service Desk...

So, as it turns out, at my new job, I'll be providing Tier 1 IT support for all City of Chicago municipal employees.

This includes but isn't limited to the Police Dept, Fire Dept, Health Dept, Aviation Dept, Water Dept, DOT, Sanitation, Parks District, and Delegate Agencies. Basically, if you work for the City of Chicago and you have an IT problem, my team and I are the ones you call first.

Now, I'm not sure how much I'm able to discuss at this point. I will share this: it's an all new department being trained by someone from out of state, so there's no veterancy. By day 3, the trainer had me training a couple contractors that were late arrivals, so that he could keep working on getting the existing team members set up. I hope this is a vote of confidence for my capabilities. By chance, my desk also has some (currently) exclusive equipment that my team members will have to contact me to use on their behalf. It'll mean some extra responsibility at first, but it'll also mean I'll have to train them on how to use the equipment when they finally get their own.

I really didn't mean any of this to come across as bragging; after all, it's still just a Tier 1 support position. But obviously I've made a good impression upon our trainer and management with how quickly I tend to pick things up, and I'm pretty proud of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment